Rhizome Program Coordinator
(full-time w/ benefits)
Deadline: Friday, October 16, at 10am EST
Send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
On the eve of its 20th anniversary, Rhizome seeks a highly capable, communicative, and organized internet native to support its artistic programs and administration. The Program Coordinator will help launch the new rhizome.org, produce public events, handle office tasks, and accrue community buy-in and financial support for Rhizome's work.
As an institution with a small staff, this role will be multifaceted and challenging day-to-day, but quite rewarding to someone wishing to grow as an art professional, particularly in Rhizome's specialist space.
About Us: Rhizome is a non-profit born-digital art institution supporting contemporary art that creates richer and more critical digital cultures. Online since 1996, and an affiliate in residence at the New Museum in NYC since 2003, our offices are based in New Inc., the first museum-led incubator, initiated by the New Museum.
About the Role: This early-career position supports Rhizome's artistic programs and institutional development, via engaged, proactive program coordination (from external affairs to event production) and thorough and detail-oriented administration (from record-keeping to development support).
Like all Rhizome staff, the Program Coordinator will be expected to feed into Rhizome’s overall institutional knowledge of internet culture, technology, and contemporary art, and be a visible presence for the organization at events and openings in NYC.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Artistic Program Support
• Event Production: administrative duties and project management, including booking venues, travel and accommodation, hospitality, liaising with technicians, and more.
• External Affairs: Management of social media, composing press releases, liaising with press about Rhizome initiatives, and maintaining press list
• Attending public events on behalf of Rhizome, reporting back on emerging practices and new developments within its communities, and feeding into Rhizome’s programs overall
• Managing administrative systems: processing and tracking invoices; maintaining/improving filing; minuting meetings; enabling good communication
• Communications: overseeing Rhizome email campaigns and mailing lists
• Development support for Rhizome's membership drives and fundraising efforts: managing community campaign, tracking, compiling and collating information to feed into fundraising reports and activities, composing and sending thank you letters and other correspondence
• Managing individual membership and organizational subscriptions (universities/colleges), including the driving of new members/subscribers to meet targets
• Managing Rhizome's Fellows and Interns
• Broad knowledge of Rhizome’s work and its context in New York City and online/internationally
• Meticulous attention to detail and organization
• Confident coordinator and project manager – works well to anticipate needs and problems, find solutions, pull together and organize information, and prioritize
• Clear and effective written and verbal communication
• Works well independently yet remains accessible, friendly, and responsive to direction from Executive Director and other staff
• An exceptional problem solver; calm under pressure with a positive attitude
• Efficient and motivated to complete work
• Decent level of technical aptitude, and ability to learn new systems quick
• Strong existing networks within Rhizome’s communities, in particular among emerging/mid-career artists or technologists in New York
• A developed online presence and deep engagement with the web
• A demonstrated interest in and specialist knowledge of internet culture, to contribute to Rhizome’s overall internal knowledge and staff culture
Questions and complete applications (resume/cover letter) can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 16, at 10am.
New York, New York 10002
United States of America