This post is part of a new monthly series of guest curated mixes for the Rhizome blog, entitled Wavelength.
JAPANESE NOISE: A REMINDER
Compiled Summer 2012 by C. Spencer Yeh
when I was an undergraduate and involved with college radio, we would hold
educational meetings covering a wide variety of music by genre, artist, and
geography. I was very much in thrall of the Japanese musical underground
at the time, so I developed a presentation and this was the handout I made as
an accompaniment. [See above.]
the term ‘noise’ thrown around quite a bit lately, to encompass
variations of form, ideology, and even affect, within organized sound
I generally have no qualms with what 'noise' can now
mean and manifest. With that said, Japanese noise is my preeminent
definition of 'noise'–my first and most formative experience. The birth
and development of Japanese noise is singular, defined by
its relation to time and place, to culture and aesthetic. Japanese
noise taught me about freedom, fetish, listening, autodidactism,
self-mythology, self-publishing, senzuri.
selections for this mix date from the mid-'80s to the early '00s, are edited for length, and intentionally eschew the
array of strategies in the scene (often deployed under the same project name) to focus on NOISE.
Big parties can be a blast, but once in a while, a long visit with an old
friend is incredibly fulfilling and necessary.
(note: all tracks are edited for the purposes of this mix)
01. Violent Onsen Geisha 'Heavy Introduction'
02. Government Alpha 'Anonym Slander'
03. The Gerogerigegege 'Nothing to Hear, Nothing to... 1985'
04. K2 'We Destroyed Barcelona Again'
05. Aube 'Aquatremble 2'
06. Merzbow 'Chant 2 (Part 1)'
07. Hedlah 'Proud Flesh'
08. Solmania 'Panic Bend Rock'
09. MSBR 'Psychic Blue'
10. Incapacitants 'Necrosis'
11. Masonna 'Spectrum Ripper (Part XVII/Part XII)'
12. Hanatarash 'We Are 0:00'
13. Killer Bug 'One-Eyed Nudist'
14. Monde Bruits 'Continuum'
15. Hijokaidan 'What A Nuisance!'
16. Masomania 'Burn Me Fast'
17. C.C.C.C. 'Loud Sounds Dopa (Part II)'
18. Gomikawa Fumio 'Satan's Tail, Santa's Head'
19. Niku-Zidousha 'Untitled'
20. Flying Testicle 'Testicle Rider'
21. Pain Jerk 'Crack n' Roll'
22. Kazumoto Endo 'Itabashi Girl'
C. Spencer Yeh is an artist and musician in Brooklyn, New York. He will perform at the New Museum on June 22nd with Graham Lambkin.
READ ON »