(01) A Spray Of Bucklers (3:26) (02) Wireless Pricks (5:23) (03) Submerged Occlusions Colliding Midair (14:11) (04) Sleeping Pill Rainforest (3:13) (05) Regard Is The Killer (4:12) (06) What's Arable, In Paisley (6:18) (07) Leave Me Now To Wander (3:43) (08) Lead Me Not To Wonder (10:10)
Recorded April - August 2010.
All tracks sourced from "New Age" recordings.
Utopian Lapses represents the results of my attempts to couple 2 separate and long-standing musical ambitions:
1) to craft instances of harsh / abrasive / "ugly" noise from samples of canonical New Age recordings; 2) to explore the generative possibilities of limited instrumental (in this case, audio editing software) techniques and, for lack of a better term, knowledge in a semi-improvised context.
Samples were selected from a variety of recordings and then manipulated using open-source audio tools such as Audacity and SoundHack. Once an audio effect, signal processing routine or edit was applied, the results, regardless of my own satisfaction with them, were allowed to stand. (No Ctrl+Z.) In order to achieve the desired transformation of ambience into oppression, I trusted the progressive tendencies of these "accidents" as well as my own "forgetting" of precisely which procedures and settings had been invoked. Finally, working track by track, and once I felt that each particular track had achieved a stage of completion, I produced a final mix and immediately deleted all my work files in order to prevent myself from giving in to the temptation to attempt to recreate / reproduce any particular sound or effect.
These recordings are attributed to the fictional collective "The Vitrines" as, like any project involving found / appropriated materials, I consider this to be a collaboration.
Utopian Lapses is best experienced at high volume and / or through headphones.
Utopian Lapses was recorded April through August of 2010.
- Year Created: 2011
- Submitted to ArtBase: Friday Aug 5th, 2011
- Original Url: http://www.slowstudies.net/radio/vitrines/utopian-lapses/
- Joe Milazzo, primary creator
- Collective: The Vitrines
Take full advantage of the ArtBase by Becoming a Member