This site, created in 2001, is a hypertextual version of Jorge Luis Borges' story "The Book of Sand". The story itself offers a prophetic metaphor for the internet: a mysterious book, whose pages are infinite, randomly numbered, and ever-changing. In this presentation, the story has been augmented with animated illustrations in the style of vintage engravings, as described in the narrative. And the text has been broken up into fragments, whose order must be pieced together by the reader. Transformed for the web, "The Book of Sand" takes on new dimensions of metafictional resonance.
- Year Created: 2001
- Submitted to ArtBase: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013
- Original Url: http://bookofsand.net/hypertext/
- Maximus Clarke, site concept, design, coding, animation
- Jorge Luis Borges, author of original text
- Norman Thomas di Giovanni, translator of original text
Take full advantage of the ArtBase by Becoming a Member