New Degrees of Freedom is a living media project that strives for autonomy in time and space, or flexible modes of being. The project entails the creation of an avatar who transitions back and forth between real and virtual space. Counseled in an online environment by researchers and practitioners, the avatar comes to life in a series of performances in varying locations.
The avatar’s birth was enacted through the movements of a contortionist. Its second iteration, The Spirit of a Real-Life Avatar, is an act of multiplication through spoken word and custom-built electronics: ten instruments, shaped like human voice boxes and carried as pendants, are distributed to audience members who then become sonic extensions of me demonstrating the project.
- Year Created: 2013
- Submitted to ArtBase: Tuesday Sep 24th, 2013
- Original Url: http://www.newdegreesoffreedom.com/
- Jenna Sutela, primary creator
- Johanna Lundberg, graphic designer, collaborator
- Nate van der Ende, web developer
- Jari Suominen, electronics
- Emmy Maruta, 3D modeling
- Martti Kalliala with Willem Heeffer, display
- Sakari Tervo, video
- Hertta Kiiski, photography
- Collective: The website and previous stages of the project (namely, Act 1: The Birth of a Real-Life Avatar) include many more collaborators, such as Erkki Kurenniemi, Rebecca La Marre with Jaakko Pallasvuo, Juhani Pallasmaa, Jussi Parikka, Johannes Thumfart, Elvia Wilk, Amnesia Scanner, and K.I. Kinnunen.
Take full advantage of the ArtBase by Becoming a Member